Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Supply Chains

Getting to the Appalachian Trail (AT) involves a bit of forethought to get stuff moving. The kind of forethought that really stresses people like me out. But I've tried to treat it more like steps on the trail - one foot in front of the other.



My Stuff!

It took a variety of modalities to get my gear here (like food, water, shelter, medical, etc). 

We used REI via USPS, UPS ground, Amazon, and Southwest Airlines got the job done. 

The only one that was late was UPS, and unfortunately they were tasked with delivering the bulk of my gear from Utah to Virginia. I sent it 10 days before I needed it there, and they said would be there in 7 days. It took 11 days.  

This caused a full day of loss on the trail. I couldn't pack and make final preparations without it. But I guess this is the part where I get to learn to be flexible? 🙄

Amazon delivered mostly food (you can buy a lot of stuff ready-to-eat from them) and a few other odds-and-ends (pack cover, permethrin, and a bear-hang kit)

Southwest Airlines delivered our packs, and of course, us!

Checking Backpacks on an Airline

I followed an online suggestion and bought two cheap duffels from Ikea and put our packs in those. These protect the packs and keeps all those straps from being caught on conveyors and such. They worked great and everything arrived intact.

We had a great flight, and the layover was a bit long, but we made the best of it. Check out this video to see some of our ideas of killing time on a layover.

All-in-all, we, and our stuff, made it here safe and sound. 

Next Steps

Tomorrow (Wednesday) we will finish packing and sorting gear. Since we'll be met by my sister about every four days to be resupplied with food and clothes, a fair amount of time was spent today sorting stuff into our dropboxes. That was actually exciting, despite what it might sound like.

We took another look at the calendar, and made sure the resupply makes sense. 

Barring any further "flexibility lessons" we'll be on the trail by noon on Thursday.

We may actually make it all the way to the West Virginia border, but that'll partially be up to us, and on what the trail will allow 🙂👍.


11 comments:

  1. Have a great start and good luck on your trip! Cyrill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be following you! Be safe and have fun!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video was funny! Loved it. Looking forward to updates. Momma K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Auntie B.... 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope to keep up with Drip & ChuckWagon. Good Luck!🙏💙

      Delete
  5. This is so fun! I thought you would start with a fresh shave so we could watch the growth. Loved all the things you did in Midway. Keep putting 1 foot in front of the other, I can't wait to read more. - Helen S

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok. I'm way late to this venture but I am so glad I found your link! The video was beyond impressive 👏 a couple of questions..¹ hot vinegar? Trying to remember if those were the words lol ² you were hauling bloody down that hall! Were you being chased? Lol ³ who won the hide and seek game? ⁴ your son is so handsome! I know you and your wife are so proud :) but I'm having the hardest time understanding because I am sure we are not old enough to have such old children, right?! Last one...⁵ does your son understand the magnitude of this trip with you? I know in time he will for sure. What an amazing time for you both making some unbelievable life long memories together. Thanks for sharing them like you have!

    ReplyDelete