Sunday, May 29, 2022

One week out!

One week out and I'm having trouble sitting still!

For over a year I have been thinking about, reading, and preparing to section hike part of the Appalachian Trail.

On June 6th I will fly out to Hampton, Virginia to meet my sister. I'm taking along with me my son, who is 15, soon to be 16, who'll be my "tramily," along the trail. We'll call him "ChuckWagon"- I'll explain that in a later post.

I shipped three large boxes of food and gear to my sister's house. She's going to help me by meeting me every 4 days along the trail to resupply our food and any gear we need. I'm also using the power of Amazon prime to get to her a bunch of other food that my growing 15-year-old will need.

The current plan is to fly in on June 6th. We will then spend June 7th preparing: going through our equipment one last time, preparing the drop boxes my sis will drop off, buying any last minute things we think we may need, and of course packing our packs.

On June 8th she'll drive us near Lexington, Virginia. This is not an arbitrary starting point. My father, grandfather and great-grandfather all went to college there at VMI, and I want my son to see that place. We'll then hit the trail in the afternoon, and be on our way.

I'd like to get about 8 mi in that first afternoon, so we'll see how that goes. 

The plan is to do between 15 and 20 miles a day for 13 days. I know we can do this, as we did a shakedown hike in the desert last weekend and learned a lot about our limits. I've never hiked the Appalachian Trail, just read a lot about it. Based on what I've read if we do about 17 miles a day, we'll get over just over 200 miles in. We will be heading northbound (or NOBO), and from what I understand our stretch is one of the easier ones on the over 2,000 mi of Appalachian Trail. But we'll see :)

As mentioned above, my sis will meet us about every 4 days, and then pick us up on the 20th. Not sure where that will exactly be yet, but hopefully in the northern end of the Shenandoah National Forest. 

I'm excited to have an extended backpacking trip.

I'm excited to be in the forest for so many days in a row.

I'm excited to be able to spend time with my son in a moment of his life that will not last.

I'm excited to finally put action into a long-standing goal of mine, which is to hike the entire Appalachian Trail (eventually).

I'm excited!




12 comments:

  1. What a great adventure awaits. So glad father and son get time together. Looks like you have prepared well. I miss my backpacking days sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited and so exciting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited!!! So exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck for your exciting adventure. I will send positive vibes for great weather. What is your handle on the trail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sound so fun. I Iove that area of Virginia.

    I'm jealous. So why now? Is he on spring break or yolo or carpe diem or what?

    Have you read Bill Bryson's walk in the woods? If your sister needs a break Jimmy and I can drive up that way.

    -greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I've always wanted to do it AND after this summer I foresee finding three weeks of time for he and I to become more and more problematic. So I felt I better "git while the gitins' good".

      Delete
    2. Also: I started Bryson's book, but don't think I ever finished it...

      Delete
  6. Eagerly awaiting this story. So very proud of you. You're such a great Dad...and person. 🥰

    ReplyDelete