Thursday, June 9, 2022

Day 1!

Stats~Vol. 1

Here are the starting stats:

My pack- fully loaded: 32 lbs.
Chuckwagon's Pack- fully loaded: 26 lbs.
My weight: 187.2
Chuckwagon's weight:151.0
Miles hiked: 0
Bears seen: 0

---------------------------
First Steps

So we're off. We started at the Tye River crossing near Tyro, VA. My sister dropped us off after a fun drive through the Virginia countryside.

Where we started has a really neat suspension bridge. Very cool thing to see 60 seconds into our hike!

We made it to Maupin Shelter about 6 and ate dinner. Along the way we saw some.cool waterfalls and lots of trees with flowers.
So, I am VERY allergic to.poison ivy. So much in fact, my dad said I used to get it just by looking at it. After years of working in land surying, playing, hiking, backpacking, and camping in the woods, one might assume I know what poison ivy looks like.

I don't.

I know it has three leaves. Today I saw about 900 different plants with three leaves. So I'm sure I am doomed. Oh well...does anyone know who the patron saint of calomine lotion is? If so please say a prayer for me.

Well I'm tired, so good night! Tomorrow we are going to try to make it to Rockfish Gap. It's 18.6 miles away, so lets see if ChuckWagon can top his personal best (oh yeah, it's going to be a long day for me too 😉).

9 comments:

  1. Y'all are doing great! Put deodorant on your arms to keep the oil (poison ivy) off any exposed skin. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get Lisa to look for Ivy Block , made by EnviroDerm Pharmaceuticals Inc

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks absolutely beautiful! Glad you had a great first day. Wondering how many hikers you will see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep up the good work! Beautiful!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a good rest and Gute Reise for tomorrow! Cyrill

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful part of our country. Keep on trekking and posting ("leaves of 3, let them be")

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you make it to West Va. There use to be a saying that the forest was so thick there and a squirrel could go all the way to Ohio & never touch the ground! 🤗 Safe travels with no 3 leaf thinges in your way.❤

    ReplyDelete